3.1 Actions regarding climate change
We will work to further reduce Green house gas (GHG) emissions through various initiatives, including the introduction of renewable energy.
- GHG：Green House Gas
- We will promote the introduction of renewable energy.
- We will promote energy conservation.
1) Renewable energy ratio for electric power consumption
2) Install solar powergeneration facilities
3) Reduction ratio of GHG emission (Scope 1 and 2)
4) Reduction ratio of GHG emission (Scope 3)
*Kirin Group, Lion
Goals for 2021
The KIRIN Group, based on the scenario analysis conducted on TCFD recommendations, reaffirmed that climate change associated with global warming will have a serious impact on the biological resources and water resources that are important raw materials for the Kirin Group. Given these analysis results, we set an ambitious target to “realize Net-Zero GHG emissions from the entire value chain” in its new Environmental Vision 2050, which far exceeds the target of the previous Long-Term Environmental Vision. We will lead to build a decarbonized society.
Realize Net-Zero GHG emission from the entire value chain
- Achieve RE100 at an early stage and source the company’s energy from 100% renewable energy.
- Realize Net-Zero GHG emissions from in the entire value chain.
Lead to build a decarbonized society
- Build a business model that contributes to a decarbonized society with customers and other stakeholders
- Support research to mitigate climate change and expand responsible renewable energy to society.
Target for total Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions*
Target for total Scope 3 emissions*
*The emissions are calculated in the same range as the target approved by SBTi.
Highlights of Outcomes
|Realize Net-Zero GHG emission from the entire value chain.||Kirin Brewery is steadily installing heat pump systems in the aim of shifting our energy sources from fossil fuels to electric power. Kyowa Kirin has introduced hydroelectric power.
The Kirin Group has made steady progress toward meeting the GHG emissions reduction targets set in its CSV Commitment, achieving an 8.5% reduction in combined Scope1 + Scope2 emissions, and 12.7% reduction in Scope3 from the 2015 levels in 2019. Kirin Brewery set a target of increasing the ratio of renewable energy in power purchased by its breweries to 50% by 2030. The ratio in 2019 was 15%. Lion acquired its first large-scale carbon neutral certification in Australia in May 2020.
|Lead to build a decarbonized society.||The Kirin Group has signed the Business Ambition for 1.5°C and Uniting Business and Governments to Recover Better in response to the efforts for the 1.5°C future and promoting green recovery. Fermentist, a craft brewery in New Zealand, has launched Kiwi Pale Ale, the country's first carbon-free certified beer. Fermentist is working to reduce GHG emissions from its production process and utilize offset program for the balance to realize carbon neutral throughout the lifecycle of the product, from fertilizers used to grow crops to refrigeration at the homes of consumers.|
Trends of GHG emission from entire value chain*
Trends of GHG emissions against medium-term targets